Do you have—or are planning to buy a new air hockey table for your man cave, garage or game room? If you do, from time to time you will definitely need to purchase air hockey pucks for this table. To help ensure you get the very best deal, in this article we have reviewed several of the most popular and sought-after air hockey pucks on the market today, and highlighted the pros and cons of each puck. We have also compiled an Air Hockey Puck Buying Guide, in which we will go over the various features, factors and characteristics you will need to consider when setting out to buy air hockey pucks for your new air hockey table.
Best Air Hockey Pucks
1. Dynamo Fluorescent Air Hockey Puck Set
- Highly visible. The bright green with which the 3-1/4″ Dynamo Fluorescent Air Hockey Puck Set is colored make the pucks very visible, even in very low light situations.
- Durable. The air hockey puck set is made from tough, durable plastic composite material that is guaranteed to last.
- Perfect for Dynamo Tables. Dynamo Air Hockey Tables are some of the finest tables built, and the 3-1/4″ Dynamo Fluorescent Air Hockey Puck Set is the official replacement set for this brand of table.
- May be too heavy. Due to their weight, the 3-1/4″ Dynamo Fluorescent Air Hockey Puck Set may be too heavy for tables measuring less than the regulation 8 feet.
The 3-1/4″ Dynamo Fluorescent Air Hockey Puck Set can be the perfect addition to your air hockey table and game room. The set comes with 2 pucks, both colored a fluorescent shade of green. This color is unique because it allows players to use them in a dim room and still be able to see them very clearly. The air hockey pucks measure 3 and ¼ inches, weigh 1.4 ounce each and measure ¼ inch in thickness. They are provided by the company Bankshot Billiards through Amazon and are the official replacement pucks for all full-sized Dynamo Air Hockey Tables.
2. Red Air Hockey Pucks by Brybelly –
- Large set. The 3-1/4-inch Red Air Hockey Pucks by Brybelly come in a set of 12, which is guaranteed to last you a very long time.
- High-quality. These Brybelly air hockey pucks are made from the very best plastic materials.
- Versatile. The 3-1/4-inch Red Air Hockey Pucks by Brybelly can work on 8-foot tables and even some 7-foot tables, as well as some Plinko games.
- Very lightweight. The lightweight design of these air hockey pucks might cause them to fly off when used on large 8-foot tables with maximum air flow.
- Can become chipped. According to some reviewers, these air hockey pucks are known to chip fairly easily (good thing there are 12 of them). B
The 3-1/4-inch Red Air Hockey Pucks by Brybelly come in a convenient set of 12, ensuring you will always have a puck on hand when you need it most. The pucks are colored an attractive red and are ideal for full-sized table air hockey games—tables that measure 8-feet in length. These pucks look great in any game room or man cave. They measure 3.25 inches in diameter, and are of the standard weight for pucks of this size. The pucks are made from top-quality plastic and are known for their smoothness on the table, without any friction to slow them down.
3. Bank Shot Billiards Large Blue or Yellow Air Hockey Pucks
- Complete set. The Bank Shot Billiards Large Blue Air Hockey Pucks also come with two heavy-duty air hockey mallets to complete the set.
- Heavy-duty. All of the air hockey pucks made by this company are designed with commercial-grade plastics that resist chipping.
- Regulation-sized. Both the Bank Shot Billiards Large Blue Air Hockey Pucks and mallets are of regulation size and weight.
- Premium priced. Due to the quality of the plastic and the inclusion of the two air hockey mallets with the set, these pucks can be a premium priced option.
When you purchase the Bank Shot Billiards Large Blue Air Hockey Pucks you not only get the two regulation-sized pucks, but also two air hockey mallets to complete the set. These pucks measure 3.25 inches in diameter and the mallets are the standard 4 inches across. Both the pucks and the mallets are made from commercial grade plastic, and they are designed to be used on full-sized 8-foot tables. The pucks weigh 40 grams, which ensures they will remain on the table even with maximum air flow.
4. Billiard Evolution 2 Air Hockey Pushers & 4 Pucks
- Great for medium-sized tables. Although not recommended for full-sized, 8-foot tables, the pucks do work great with medium-sized home-based air hockey tables.
- Plenty of variety. In addition to the 2 mallets and one round-shaped puck, this set also comes with two triangle-shaped pucks and one that is in the shape of an octagon, with 8 sides on which to strike it.
- Budget-friendly. If you are looking for a complete set of pucks and mallets at a reasonable price, this set from Billiard Evolution just might be for you.
- Non-regulation. If you were hoping to use any of these pucks on a regulation 8-foot table you will not see very positive results.
The Billiard Evolution 2 Air Hockey Pushers & 4 Pucks Set comes with two crème-colored air hockey mallets measuring 3.75 inches wide and 2.75 inches in height. The 4 pucks that are included with this set are very unique. While one of the pucks is in the standard round shape, measuring 3.25 inches in diameter, the other pucks include two that are shaped like triangles and colored red and black, respectively; and one that takes on an octagonal shape. These different shapes allow players to try their luck with different type of pucks, which really makes the games that much more challenging. All of these pucks and mallets are designed for used on home-sized air hockey tables.
5. Dynamo Quiet White Air Hockey Pucks
- Regulation Everything. The Dynamo Quiet White Air Hockey Pucks by Games for Fun are the regulation weight, size and even color—the perfect puck for tournament play.
- Sound dampening. The rubberized coating used on these air hockey pucks help to dampen the cracking noise when used on high-quality tables.
- Durable. Due to the heavy-duty construction of the Dynamo Quiet White Air Hockey Pucks by Games for Fun, these might be the last pucks you will ever need to buy.
- Not ideal for smaller tables. The Dynamo Quiet White Air Hockey Pucks by Games for Fun may not work well on non-Dynamo tables of a shorter size.
Are you in the market for regulation-sized and perfectly weighted air hockey pucks? If so, the Dynamo Quiet White Air Hockey Pucks are the perfect choice for you. This set comes with two white-colored pucks measuring the regulation size of 3.25 inches in diameter and weighing the standard 42 grams. The pucks are made from premium-grade plastic and are designed to be used with the Dynamo Air Hockey Tables, some of the best tables in the business. The high density of this puck allows it to remain on even the fastest table without flying off, and it is also highly resistant to chipping.
Air Hockey Pucks Buying Guide
When setting out to buy air hockey pucks there are several factors and features you must consider. To assist you in this process, below we have covered some of these considerations.
The regulation size for an air hockey puck is 3.25 inches in diameter. Therefore, if you have a regulation size table you will definitely want to select pucks of this size. However, if your free standing air hockey table is smaller than 8 feet, or you have a tabletop air hockey game, the goal size may also be smaller. In cases such as these, you should always read the manual that comes with your game and buy only those pucks are properly sized for it.
The regulation weight of an air hockey puck is 42 grams. At this weight, the puck is light enough to flow effortlessly across the air pockets created by the air hockey table fan; and heavy enough to not fly off the table every time it is struck. The exact weight of your air hockey pucks will be determined by the size of your table. Just remember that the weight can also be a sign of a puck’s durability or lack thereof. Very lightweight pucks are prone to chipping, as are those with a low density.
The color of your new air hockey pucks is actually a matter of preference. For tournament play, however, the regulation color is white, as this color shows up nicely against the blue surface of the air hockey table. However pucks can also be purchased in an array of colors, from red to blue to black to fluorescent green, as highlighted in our reviews above. Just make sure you do not get pucks that are the same color as your table. This can make seeing the pucks very tricky during game play.
Of course, the regulation shape of an air hockey puck is round, but if you want to change it up a bit you can also buy pucks in other shapes, such as triangles, pentagons and octagons.
Last but not least, let’s talk about quantity. Air hockey puck sets usually come in a set of two and might even include the two air hockey mallets that you will need to play. Other pucks can be purchased in bulk, with as many as 12 to 24 in a set. More, however, does not always mean better. It is wiser to buy just a couple of high-quality air hockey pucks than to purchase 12 cheap and flimsy ones. In the end, the two high-quality pucks might just outlast the latter.